Ok so maybe not today but yesterday but again let’s celebrate books everyday!
I’ve been on a bit of a mission this year to allocate a bit more time to reading instead of making excuses saying I’m too busy for it. I’ve been loving every moment of it so far (including laying on the beach with a book in the sun and also by stark contrast, curled up next to a fire with a blanket!). Books provide a great source of inspiration, comfort or just imagination and I just wanted to share some of my favourite books with you all below. Hopefully the categories help and please leave me a comment if you think you have any I would love too!
Probably my new favourite genre of books! They leave feeling so inspired and just so excited about life!
- You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero – literally my favourite book to date!
- Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman – recommended to me by my Ashtanga yoga teacher and a book that literally blew my mind.
- The Universe Has Your Back by Gabrielle Bernstein – for any of you hippie yogis or even if you’re not into any of that, this book just makes sense!
- Be Awesome by Hadley Freeman – lent to me from a beautiful yogi. This book is very tongue in cheek and a great read for all women.
- Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy– A great small book that would take less than a day to get through but so many life hacks to get you to stop procrastinating (so guilty of this)
- Make Yourself Unforgettable by Dale Carnegie – His books are amazing for just forming and understanding relation
- The Anxiety Solution by Chloe Brotheridge – A must read for anyone really!
Anything animal related and these books usually leave me crying and desperate to save these beautiful beings.
- The Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony– the most beautiful book that just makes you fall in love with elephants all over again (keep tissues close by)
- Jeremy and Amy by Jeremy Keeling – the incredible story of the man who found Monkey World, Dorset and why!
- The Last Rhinos by Lawrence Anthony – To learn about what’s happening with Rhinos and a story about how people are trying to help and the challenges they face.
- Life in The Valley of Death by Alan Rabinowitz – The hard life of trying save tigers amidst corruption and dangerous conditions.
- We Bought A Zoo by Benjamin Mee – Ok so you’ve probably seen the movie but what movie even does the book any justice?!
- Gorilla in the Midst by Dian Fossey – if you haven’t heard of this book where have you been? Again keep tissues close by and expect to learn some hard truths.
Because we all love to lose ourselves in another world.
- Harry Potter the entire collection – I mean what kind of book list would this be if it didn’t feature HP?! I’ll be honest with you though, when I was a kid I skim read them because that’s what everyone did and if you hadn’t read it in a day then everyone would tell you the major plot lines the next day at school. Horrified by this fact by husband made me re-read them and WOW, I think we’ve re-read them 3 times since we’ve been married and every-time you learn something else. The story is knitted together so so well!
- Hunger Games series – I finished them in about a week. So good and so immersive!
- Life of Pi by Yann Martel– Yes the film is huge but the book blew my mind. Read always before you watch the movie.
- My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult– again this is just one of those books that will make you sob (way better than the movie again!)
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins – Another book that got turned into a movie but I enjoyed the book as every chapter is a different character and the writing style was so interesting.
Current Reading List
So what am I reading next? What’s on the list to come? Well a whole lot of Life books again (as I said it’s my new love genre)…
- A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle – Highly recommended book and also Power of Now (which I think is more well known)
- The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin – the book behind a one line journal I was given and absolutely adored.
- Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg – A recommendation by my beautiful friend and still one that’s on my list
And probably lots more..
So I hope that was interesting/ helpful and I’d love to hear about your favourite reads too!
Love Avni x