So it’s been a while since I’ve had a play in the kitchen! I have been so rushed the past few months but last week I scheduled some time to myself in the kitchen and put on some 90’s music and had the funnest few hours.
The result… amazing Mexican bean burgers! They were surprisingly quick with less than 10 ingredients (but feel free to add a different variety of beans)! Initially I planned for it to contain black beans and pinto beans so I went shopping, came home and realised I didn’t buy any of the ingredients I actually needed! So I tried a different mix and it was such a success!
So here it is! Enjoy…
Ingredients (produces 10 palm sized patties)
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 can of butter beans
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (finely blended)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 cup tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees
- Thoroughly rinse the beans and mix together in a pan and heat
- Mix the spices in a separate bowl then add to the beans with 1/8 cup tomato sauce
- Heat until beans start to get soft, mixing the spices through
- If it’s starting to stick to the bottom of the pan add 2 tbsp water
- Once beans are soft, mash the beans to a thick paste
- Decant into a bowl and add the bread crumbs (finely blended)
- Mix thoroughly until you have a mixture you can roll into a ball (if needed add 1 tbsp flour to thicken it further)
- Create patties with your hands. Roll into a bowl then pat down onto a baking tray
- Cook in oven for 30 minutes. Turning them over half way through.
- Serve with ketchup, vegan mayo, avocado, lettuce, salad tomatoes all within a bun
- Enjoy with the chips or a side salad
Tip: Freeze leftover patties for days when you don’t have time to cook!
Love Avni x