Welcoming in Autumn Equinox with cold mornings and hot dinners.
Over the summer I’ve stayed away from the oven and have been eating lots of fresh refreshing salads and soul bowls but the time has come! The temperature has really dropped this week and I really fancied some vegan Lasagne on the weekend. You know it’s one of those dishes that fills you up, makes you feel warm and fuzzy then you grab your blanket and watch a movie… it’s the ultimate “winter is here” dish for me! (Ok I’m drooling a little just thinking about it).
I just wanted to share our recipe for you all… it’s super simple and we put it together in the afternoon so that we could just pop it into the oven as soon as we got home.
A box of Lasagne sheets (check they’re vegan!)
8 Mushrooms thinly sliced
1 Courgette cut into thin semi-circles
1 can of Kidney beans
3 tins of Cherry tomatoes
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Mixed herbs
2 tbsp Margarine
4 tbsp Plain flour
2 1/2 cup Unsweetened soy milk (add slowly)
Cashew Cheese topping
1 cup pre-soaked Cashews
1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast
Juice of 2 limes
1 1/2 tbsp tahini
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
- Leave cashews to soak in a blender (add in hot water and leave for about 30minutes to an hour)
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees
- Open the tins of cherry tomatoes, add the herbs and leave to simmer on the heat (leave until it thickens)
- Whilst the tomato sauce is thickening make the white sauce in a different pan
- Start by adding in the Margarine and let it melt, mix in the flour until it becomes a soft dough. Slowly add the milk 1tbsp at a time to begin with them increase it to larger quantities as it becomes more liquid
- Come back to the cashews and drain them out. Add to the blender (if not already in there) with all the other ingredients above. Blitz and add water until smooth in texture.
- Now it’s time to assemble the Lasagne! Start by layering the sheets on the bottom of a glass oven dish (cover the area completely)
- Next layer on the tomato sauce, courgettes and kidney beans. Top it off with another layer of lasagne sheets
- The next layer is the white sauce and mushrooms, again finish off the layer with more sheets
- Final layer is the remainder of the tomato sauce and the remainder of the vegetables
- Add one final layer of sheets and top with cashew cheese
- Place into the oven and cook for about 25 minutes (until you can pierce through the sheets smoothly with a knife)
- For the final 10 minutes grill the top of the cheese to make it crispy and slightly harder (this is the best trick!)
- Take out of oven, cut into slices and remove from the dish with care
- Enjoy whilst hot (P.s. you’ll probably go back for seconds too)
So there you have it! It seems like a lot of things but it’s fairly simple and you can have multiple components working away at the same time. It’s my favourite vegan lasagne by far and I know I’ll be making it again next week.
Let me know if you try it and I’d love to see the pictures.
Love Avni x