Hello and a very Happy Diwali to everyone.
This week we celebrate the hindu festival of lights and lots of beautiful time with friends and family. Part of the tradition is exchanging sweet treats! This year I’ve adapted a popular Diwali treat and made it vegan with natural sugars. It’s super quick and easy if you’re looking to make something for a picnic, games night or even just to wow your work colleagues!
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/8 cup date syrup
1/8 cup maple syrup
3 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup crushed weetabix/ oatibix (or sub with biscuit)
1/2 puffed rice/ puffed quinoa
1/2 cup roughly ground almonds
(1/2 bar of melted chocolate for topping or make your own chocolate with coconut oil, maple syrup and cocoa powder)
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan then add the maple syrup and date syrup
- Add the peanut butter and mix together until smooth
- Add the cocoa powder and mix then take off the heat
- Add the remaining ingredients (apart from the topping chocolate)
- Decant the mixture into a glass tray and press to form a 1 inch layer (press firmly!)
- Then melt (or make your chocolate) and pour evenly over the top
- Leave to cool and set in the fridge for a few hours
- Cut into small squares
- Serve or store in the fridge, ready for your big family gathering
And there you have it! It’s really that easy!
Quick, easy, vegan and refined sugar free Diwali treats.