Hope you’re all having a beautiful December and have been finding some time to be still in the busy month. Last week I shared an Instagram post about how I’ve vowed to do less this Christmas… buy fewer things, be in fewer shops and instead substitute it with spending more actual time with my loved ones, cooking or enjoying slow yoga classes or even movie marathons and cottage holidays.
It’s been the funnest December month and I feel so full of love that I can spend my days with my friends and even their little ones. A part of me still wanted to “gift” something to my yogi’s and leave them with a little treat. I thought long and hard about it and ended up on the idea of lip balm and here’s why….
- Winter air destroys your lips and skin making it so dry and painful
- Store bought lip balm has over 20 ingredients and most are chemically made
- The ones that I have found to be made from simple ingredients usually come in plastic tubes
- Something I actually use and need!
I wanted to create a little gift that would be vegan and eco friendly and saw I bought the raw ingredients below (in glass containers and large quantities) and made my own lip balm tins at home flavoured in different ways.
The aim is that once they’ve run out they bring it back to me… I make some more and fill it up and return it! Zero waste!
I had so much fun making them and so many people were asking me if I was selling them… in short no but I can share the recipe with you and if you’d like to create your own at home please do! It’s simple, fun and eco friendly!
- 1 tsp Candelilla wax
- 6 tsp Coconut oil
- 2.5 tsp Shea butter (or can be substituted with coco butter for more of a coco smell)
- 10 drops of whichever essential oil you use (I’ve used peppermint and lemon)
Note: If using coco butter, don’t use essential oil drops
- Mix the oils and butter together in a double boiler (or microwave). Note double boiler can be a glass bowl on top of a pan of boiling water
- Allow the oils to melt completely
- Once melted add the essential oil
- Immediately pour into containers and leave to cool (take care the oil is very hot!)
- Apply onto lips whenever it’s needed and it should last you about a year.
And that’s it! It really is that simple!
Let me know if you end up trying it out and I’d love to hear from you.
Love Avni x