I’m back and hopefully here to offer you lots more recipes, books and eco focused blogs. So let’s kick start with a favourite of ours… Pasties!
These are super quick and easy and don’t take that long to do. They’re perfect for a Friday night in or even to take out on a typical summer picnic.
- Puff Pastry of your choice (lots available in the supermarket)
- Mushrooms (Chestnut mushrooms have the best flavour but feel free to use any others)
- Cashews (pre-soak them for overnight or at least 30minutes in hot water)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to the temperature required for your puff pastry (I usually heat to 180 on fan assisted ovens)
- First Cook the mushrooms in a pan over medium heat with a small amount of oil. Stir them occasionally and let the water from the mushrooms burn off (if you don’t do this then they leak into the pasty and make it soggy)
- Next add in the cut broccoli and let it stir fry for a little while with the mushroom.
- Leave the Vegetables on the side whilst you make the cheese paste.
- In a blender add the cashews (pre-soaked and drained), nutritional yeast, tahini, juice of the lime, paprika and salt and pepper. Blend until you start to form a smooth thick texture. Add small amounts of water if needed but don’t make the paste too runny.
- Add the cashew cheese dressing to the mushrooms and broccoli and stir until evenly distributed.
- Next cut the puff pastry into long rectangles. Fill one side of it then fold in half to close. Use a small amount of water to close up the edges.
- Using a butter knife make small slit in the top (to allow any moisture to escape)
- Place into oven and let it cook until brown. Use a knife to gently lift the pastie and see if the underside has cooked too.
- Serve warm and enjoy with your favourite sauce (can’t go wrong with ketchup!)
So there you have it… Quick, easy and filling vegan pastie recipe!
Note: You can also add potatoes and any other veggies you fancy on the inside too.
Let me know if you make it!
Love Avni x